Sunday, February 13, 2011

Party

Last night I went to a Valentine's Day party. I was a bit concerned that I wouldn't have good food to eat, so I made sure to bring a very large green salad with almonds in it as my contribution to the potluck. Well, it was a hit. Every plate I saw had salad on it, and it was completely gone in less than an hour! Now I know that I will always bring such a salad to potlucks!

We also brought oranges which I periodically throughout the night cut up into slices. They were also a big hit.

I must say the red velvet chocolate cake and the cheesecake that someone else brought were also hits, but I didn't have any!

I'm proud to say that I made mostly good healthy choices all night. I stayed away from the pasta dishes, the rice, any of the really delicious-looking sandwich rolls, anything with mayonnaise on it, and all of the desserts except for a handful of blueberries. I allowed myself a few little treats: one piece of sushi, 2 gluten free crackers with hummus, more hummus with carrots, some guacamole on 4 flax-seed and veggie tortilla chips, and I had one piece of mint chocolate and 2 glasses of wine. Other than that, it was salad, vegetables with no sauce, and about 2-3 ounces of chicken. So, even my "treats" were pretty healthy.

The wine, however, affected me adversely. I noticed when I awoke this morning that my lower back and right knee were hurting again, and I felt dehydrated (even though I drank water all night long except for the wine!). I will be omitting it in the future, except for small tastes now and then, at least until I get my health back on track.

All in all, I felt pretty proud of myself for making good choices for me, and taking care of myself.

No comments:

Post a Comment