Friday, February 11, 2011

Another new recipe

I created this Chicken-Cabbage Soup the other night - basically because I had some leftover chicken that I had to do something with. I checked in with Debbie today and she said it sounded fine. It tastes fine too!

I had the bone left from one of those store-bought roasted chickens with a fair amount of meat still on. I peeled off all of the skin and put the whole thing in a large pot with about a gallon of water. I boiled it for a few hours, making a really nice chicken broth. I let it cool and then took out the bone, getting as much of the meat off of it as I could, and discarding the rest.

I cut up an onion, a couple of stalks of celery, a few carrots, and threw them in the pot. I let them boil with the meat for awhile.

Then I added some leftover brown rice (less than a cup) and a 1 pound package of sauerkraut I had bought. I put in my usual spices - Celtic sea salt, turmeric, garlic, and a bit of freshly ground pepper.

I let it all simmer for about an hour or so.

I have lots of leftovers, but honestly, it's so good, I have had it for three meals now - supper tonight, lunch yesterday, and supper the day before.

In other news, my weight is holding steady right now (a bit disappointing), but my body is getting stronger. Today I walked almost two miles, pretty much pain-free.

No comments:

Post a Comment